94 posts tagged Just for Laughs Chicago
We got to attend a Conan taping yesterday, and let us tell you: it was everything we dreamed of and more.
Conan fans are an enthusiastic group. We spotted a group sporting handmade Conan hair-hats.
From right to left: Princess Conan, Hippie Conan, Rocker Conan and No Idea Conan.
The Chicago Theatre is gorgeous.
We’ve never been to a studio taping, so we don’t have much basis for comparison, but the big, packed theatre gave a party atmosphere to the show, even though it was only 5 p.m.
Some things you might not know about Conan tapings:
1) Conan has a warm-up act. Comedian Jimmy Pardo comes out before each show to get the crowd giggling and to run through the guidelines of participating in a live taping. One such guideline: “Believe it or not, I have to tell you this: Turn off your pagers. Then go buy a calendar. Who has a pager in this day and age? You might as well wear a sign that says, ‘I sell meth.’”
2) Jimmy Vivino and the Basic Cable Band can wail. You can tell they’re good from watching the show, but the full live experience really drives it home. The guys kicked off the show with Curtis Mayfield’s “Move On Up” and roamed all over the stage and through the crowd. It. Was. Awesome.
3) Conan is even more tall and leggy in person than he is on TV. Impossible, you say! Nope. Believe it, ladies and gentlemen. Conan O’Brien is the leggiest man on Earth.
4) Even Conan laughs at his own pre-taped video packages. He stands on stage while they play, and we spotted him chuckling a few times during the Conan Visits the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum video.
5) Conan dances to the music during commercial breaks. It’s adorable.
6) When the cameras stop rolling, the fun don’t stop. Conan finished off last night’s show with a rendition of the “End of the Show Song.” (That may not be the official title.)